Hickok Street Watermain Replacement Project
The purpose of the project is to replace a section of +100-year-old original watermain within Hickok Street and West Lane. Existing Conditions include 2,700 LF pre-1929 original cast iron 6-inch watermain where 5 breaks have occurred in the last 5 years.
On Town Meeting Day (3/7/2019), Winooski voters approved article six on the ballot:
Article Six: Hickock Street Bond Vote – Shall general obligation bonds of the City of Winooski in an amount not to exceed Three Million, Seven Hundred Thousand Dollars ($3,700,000.00) be issued for planning, design and construction of replacement of the Hickok Street water lines, valves, and associated street reconstruction? A portion of the repayment is intended to come from water and wastewater fees subject to any reduction for applicable State and Federal grants-in-aid and any applicable general funds but backed by the full faith and credit of the City.
- New 8-inch watermain (DI or C900)
- New isolation valves and hydrants
- New curb stops
- Potential sanitary + storm sewer replacement
- Road reconstruction
- Curbing and sidewalk replacement - (pending final cost estimate)
Cost Estimate and Funding
- Total project cost: $3.7 Million
- Water Fund: $1.5 million (DEC SRF)
- General Fund – Road work: $1.3M
- Sewer Fund - $900k (DEC SRF)
Project Team and Partners
- City of Winooski
- Aldrich and Elliott (consultant)
- Courtland Construction (contractor)
- VT Department of Environmental Conservation - Water funding
- Watermain replacement: Summer 2019
- Final street reconstruction: Summer 2020
- The City of Winooski water distribution system consists of approximately 21.7 miles of watermains with mainline pipe diameters ranging from 4 inch to 16 inches. The majority of the watermains are original 100+ year old, unlined cast iron pipes.
- In 2016 the City updated its Water Distribution Master Plan that identifies priority watermains for replacement. The Hickok Street watermain has been identified as a high priority given its age, number of recent historic breaks and modeled friction loss.
- The project also includes final street pavement replacement work to be completed in 2020. New sidewalks and curbing may also be incorporated into the restoration work pending the detailed street work estimate.
- The project also includes funding for sanitary and storm sewer replacement work. This scope of work will be further evaluated during final design.
The Department of Public Works is pleased to announce that construction for the Hickok Street and West Lane Waterline Replacement Project will begin soon. Join us for an informational public meeting regarding this project:
Tuesday, June 18th - 5 PM @ the O'Brien Community Center (32 Malletts Bay Avenue)
This meeting will provide an opportunity for the public to learn more about the project and to meet with the Department of Public Works, the project contractor (Courtland Construction), and the project engineer (Aldrich + Elliott).
Questions regarding this meeting can be sent to Ryan Lambert, City Engineer:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 802 734 0022